Warm Weather Natural Hair Routine
Natural hair care routines literally change with the weather! With dryer air during the colder seasons comes the need to take extra care to maintain moisture in our curls. The warm weather seasons replace the air’s dryness with humidity. I’m not a big fan of humid weather. However, my hair absolutely thrives on humidity, giving me some of my very best wash and go styles!
In this post I am sharing my updated natural hair routine along with the current products that I’m using since the weather has warmed up. My hair is really growing so I’ve tweaked my weekly routine a bit (click here for more information on my original wash and go routine).
Changes To My Weekly Hair Routine
I wash my hair with a co-wash conditioner, then deep condition it for 20 minutes under my hooded dryer. After rinsing out the deep conditioner, I apply a leave-in, a moisturizer and a gel to soaking wet hair. I recently incorporated the following tweaks into my routine:
- I run cold water very quickly through my hair after applying all of my products being careful not to rinse them out. A spray bottle can be used as well. This step provides my hair with even more moisture and lots of extra shine.
- I sit under my hooded dryer for one hour. Adding an extra half hour of drying time helps my styles last longer. I no longer have to add products to my hair daily since doing this. Now, all I need to do is a little fluffing and I’m good to go…at least for 3 or 4 days! NOTE: I still follow my time under the hooded dryer with using a handheld hairdryer to finish the drying process.
- My hair starts to get a little thirsty after 3-4 days and needs help to bring the moisture levels back up. At night before bedtime I divide my hair into two sections, apply a light touch of water and hair moisturizer, then braid my hair into two ponytails. I cover up my hair with my Grace Eleyae Satin-Lined Slap Cap to protect my hair while I’m sleeping. These caps not only protect your hair, but they’re also very fashionable!
- I undo my braids the following morning to curls that are moist and refreshed. A quick fluffing out is all it needs and I’m done. Sometimes I undo my braids before I shower and give them a little steam treatment.
My Current Hair Products
- Cleanser: Eden Bodyworks All Natural Coconut Shea Cleansing CoWash
- Deep Conditioner – SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Treatment Masque
- Leave-In Conditioner – SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-in Conditioner
- Moisturizer – SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Smoothie
- Gel – Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian 24-Carat Glistening Twisting Gel
SheaMoisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil leave-in conditioner has been a staple product in my routine for more than a year. It is THE BEST leave-in conditioner ever so trying the mask and smoothie from the same line was an easy decision to make. It does not disappoint and I will be sticking with these products for awhile!
The Mane Choice hair care company carries amazing hair gels that provides moisture, shine and hold. Their twisting gel (see product list above) works just as beautifully on wash and go styles and smells really good too!
Try out my spring/summer hair care routine to help achieve healthy, gorgeous curls in the hot and humid weather! Any questions? Please ask them in the comment section below and I will be more than happy to answer them!
Have a beautiful day!